2022 Registration Now Open!
Note: For 2022, the first and last session of the academy will be in person at our Fairfield, CA location, the rest of the classes will be 100% on-line. In person sessions may also be attended on-line if student is located in Southern California. The program features live on-line instruction as well a few select self-paced classes.
Class Schedule for 2022 (8am to 3pm)
- January 21, 22
- February 18, 19
- March 25, 26
- April 22, 23
- May 20, 21
- June 17, 18
- September 23, 24
- October 21, 22
Now more than ever, there is a great need in the business office for well trained staff to be able to support teaching and learning. The validity and accuracy of the district’s financial reports and projections are dependent upon the skill of school business employees managing complex financial systems and data. These school business professionals must be well trained and understand the theories, methodology and nuisances of California school finance and accounting in order to succeed.
This program emphasizes specific and pragmatic skills school fiscal leaders need to know to be able to thrive as a school business professional. The content of this academy is presented in an in-line lecture format, relying upon class discussion, small group projects, and out-of-class assignments/practical application. There all also some self-passed courses that will be assigned as part of the program. All participants are required to take monthly assessments and pass a comprehensive final exam in order to qualify for the state of California approved Director of Fiscal Services certificate.
The TSS Director of Fiscal Serviced Certificate Program has been created as a comprehensive program designed to produce new or improve the existing skills of experienced or aspiring directors of fiscal services and to enhance the knowledge and skill-set of other school business personnel. The class consists of a broad base of education and training that occurs both in the classroom setting and by practical application. The course will provide an opportunity for participants to expand their skill-sets in a challenging yet encouraging environment. Specialized assignments and class projects are done individually and as part of small teams. Participants who successfully complete the course will be issued an TSS Director of Fiscal Services Certificate.
- Attendance and Participation – Participants are expected to attend and contribute in all sessions and must attend all classes in order to receive the TSS Director of Fiscal Services Certificate. If an emergency arises, one session may be made-up by writing and an academic paper on the missed classes’ subject matter with pre-approved by the program’s director.
- Group Projects – There will be various in class group projects that students will participate in. During these group projects students may be asked to act in various roles such as facilitator, scribe, group leader, etc.
- Presentation – Participants are required to present one 20-minute PowerPoint presentation on a topic related to school business.
- Readings – Various readings will be assigned during the academy. Students will analyze readings and participate in group discussions or writing assignments to apply concepts to real world situations.
- Practicum-Participants will select an appropriate practicum which will be due by the end of the course. The practicum can be a variety of activities, including a needed District project or a specific interview with experienced CBO, Director of Fiscal Service, School Accountant, etc. The practicum topic/project must be agreed to by the coordinator.
- Assessments and Final Exam – Monthly assessments will be given to assess progress and students are required to pass a final exam before earning the Director of Fiscal Services Certificate.
- Other – Various but limited written or other assignments.
The Director of this program is TSS Executive Vice President Dr. Joseph Pandolfo who brings over 30 years of educational industry experience and who moderates all sessions to ensure the continuity of the curriculum. Presenters for the program are amongst the highest caliber professionals in the state, and include current and retired CBOs, FCMAT intervention specialists, ACSA and CASBO members, superintendents and other administrators.
Remaining Schedule for 2021
October 15, 16
November 5, 6
|Introduction to School Business|
|DFS: Introduction to School Business||00:00:00|
|DFS: SACS Report Activity||10, 00:00|
|Local Control Funding Formula|
|DFS Month 1 Assessment||Unlimited|
|DFS Financial Accounting||00:00:00|
|Governmental Accounting for School Districts Quiz||2 weeks|
|Financial Management Software|
|DFS Financial Management Software||00:00:00|
|Year End Close|
|DFS Year End Close||00:00:00|
|Balance Sheet Accounts|
|DFS Balance Sheet Accounts||00:00:00|
|DFS Balance Sheet Exercise||300, 00:00|
|Balance Sheet Quiz||Unlimited|
|Budget Development and Monitoring|
|DFS Budget Developing and Monitoring||00:00:00|
|DFS: Making Budgets Work||00:00:00|
|Internal Auditing and Controls|
|Internal Auditing and Controls||00:00:00|
|Internal Controls and Internal Auditing Quiz||Unlimited|
|Managing the External Audit|
|DFS External Audit||00:00:00|
|External Audits Quiz||Unlimited|
|Enrollment and Average Daily Attendance|
|DFS: Pupil Attendance Accounting||00:00:00|
|Attendance Exercise||90, 00:00|
|Managing District Technology|
|DFS: Managing District Technology||00:00:00|
|Special Education Funding|
|Overview of Special Education||00:00:00|
|LCAP and C&I|
|Working with the Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment + Accountability Department Powerpoint||00:00:00|
|Working with the Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment + Accountability Department PDF||00:00:00|
|Working with the CIAA Department Quiz||Unlimited|
|Student Body Accounts|
|Management of Student Body Funds PDF||00:00:00|
|Associated Student Body Quiz||Unlimited|
|County Office of Education: Role and Responsibilities|
|Fiscal Relationship with COE||00:00:00|
|Managing Categorical Programs|
|DFS: LCAP and Categorical Tracking||00:00:00|
|DFS Child Nutrition||00:00:00|
|Nutrition Fiscal Academy Quiz||Unlimited|
|Public Speaking and Board Presentations|
|Presentation Topic (PowerPoint)||2700, 00:00|
|Effective Public Speaking||00:00:00|
|Practicum/Project DFS||210, 00:00|
|Purchasing (separate self-paced unit)|
|Effective Writing and Communication|
|Charter Schools Oversight|
|Charter School Presentation||00:00:00|
|Charter School Quiz||Unlimited|
|Collective Bargaining and Negotiations|
|School Maintenance and Construction|
|FIT Worksheet Group 1||00:00:00|
|FIT Worksheet Group 2||00:00:00|
|FIT Workshop Group 3||00:00:00|
|FIT Worksheet Group 4||00:00:00|
|CDE Facilities and Learning||00:00:00|
|5-Year DM Plan Exercise||00:00:00|
|2019 Coding Def Maint||00:00:00|
|Human Resources for Business Leaders Powerpoint||00:00:00|
|Human Resources Lesson Plan||00:00:00|
|Human Resource Handouts||00:00:00|
|Insurance and Joint Powers Authorities|
|Overview of Insurance and Self Insurance Programs Powerpoint||00:00:00|
|Risk Management Quiz||Unlimited|